A broken elevator is one of the worst nightmares of any building owner. Not only are they costly to fix, but they also pose life-threatening risks to people who use them. The best way to prevent an elevator breakdown is making smart and proactive decisions that include identifying potential risks and fixing them right away.
Fortunately, elevator repairers have become familiar with certain problems that affect most elevators. To keep your elevator in top condition, it’s important to look out for these problems and fix them immediately. Read on to learn about common elevator problems and how they can be fixed.
In this article, we’ll dive deep into what 6 common elevator problems are, how to effectively solve these elevator faults, exactly how to improve efficiency and save costs for you? – And answer some common questions about elevator operation and use.
- How to Solve the Power Failures in Your Elevator Problems？
- How to Find Out Worn-out Elevator Sheaves & How to Solve It?
- What is the Elevator Contamination Problems & How to Solve It？
- How to Solve Elevator Bearing Malfunction?
- Knowing How to Improper Elevator Motor Drive Alignment.
- Why Wired Ropes are Important to Elevator Operation？
1.How to Solve the Power Failures in Your Elevator Problems？
Whether they are in residential or commercial buildings, elevators are generally known to consume a substantial amount of power. This pins a lot of load on the building’s utility system.
Usually, when a building’s utility system withstands that much pressure, a system update seems like a great idea. Unfortunately, this is not the case for elevators. An update could affect motor operations, a scenario that could potentially damage the elevator system.
Any change in the building’s utility system could be potentially dangerous. This includes maintenance and electrical activities such as blackout, lightning strike, and power surge. This problem can be solved by regular power quality inspections to ensure the elevator is receiving the right amount of voltage. Infrared thermography can be used to measure extreme temperature signature fluctuations. This helps to identify potential threats before they can damage the entire system.
2.How to Find Out Worn-out Elevator Sheaves & How to Solve It?
An elevator shaft is connected to hoist ropes and acts as a pulley. The sheaf and hoist ropes both work together to suspend the elevator between floors and move it. As time goes on, the shears can become worn out. When this happens, it puts added pressure on the ropes and it doesn’t take long before they wear out.
Ironically, rope wear also causes the sheaves to further wear out leading to an endless cycle. This problem can cause bumpiness and lag. To prevent hoist rope failure, you can either regroove or replace the sheaves. It is, therefore, important to make regular checks on the groove profile to ensure that there’s a good fit between the ropes and the sheaves.
3.What is the Elevator Contamination Problems & How to Solve It？”
Like motor vehicle engines, elevators heavily rely on oils and lubricants to move their metal pieces smoothly without friction or scrapping. However, elevator wear can cause the release of metal particles into the oil thereby contaminating it. This can disrupt the entire elevator system.
Worn seals and improper lubrication can also lead to oil contamination. Elevator wear cannot be prevented. As elevators age, they are bound to wear out. However, you can always detect contamination via oil analysis.
If you find bronze particles in the gear case oil, there’s a good chance that you’re dealing with premature wear on the gear’s crown. Also, finding aluminum in the hydraulic tank can point to a pump housing wear issue in your hydraulic elevator.
4.How to Solve Elevator Bearing Malfunction?
When there’s an elevator motor failure issue, there’s a good chance the problem stems from a bearing malfunction. For example, a noisy bearing can trigger motor vibrations. While variable frequency drives can be used to decrease the motor’s energy usage, they can also cause common mode current which increases the vibrations to higher levels.
This problem can be solved by using an inductive absolver. It absolves current and prevents breakdowns.
5.Knowing How to Improper Elevator Motor Drive Alignment.
If the electric motor of your elevator is joined with another piece of equipment, it could lead to an interference with operations. This is because an improper alignment could lead to motor bearing wear.
You can detect shaft alignment by using laser measuring equipment. If you do wish to eliminate alignment issues altogether, you can simply purchase a geared machine that has a flange-mounted motor. This machine doesn’t require any requirement when it’s disassembled.
6.Why Wired Ropes are Important to Elevator Operation？
Worn-out sheaves are not the only thing that can cause hoist ropes to wear out. These ropes are made of steel or wire and feature many moving parts. Different wires work simultaneously to ensure the elevator is working properly.
Although the ropes are typically strong, they are also designed in such a way that they are flexible too. The rope strands adjust to move over the sheaf and back in its place. These endless movements ultimately cause the rope to wear out. If not monitored, the rope strands could break putting the lives of many at risk.Elevator problems will come at some point. Your best move is to prevent them before they become a full-blown problem. Here are two ways to prevent Elevator problems.Elevator maintenance is crucial. It is during maintenance that proper checks are made to ensure all parts are working fine. You can immediately identify problems and solved them right away. Also, maintenance can help to improve your elevator’s lifespan. With the right maintenance, an elevator could last between 15 to 20 years.
However, many elevators don’t last that long because of poor maintenance culture. Maintenance is not only good for your elevator’s lifespan, but it’s also good for your pockets. Elevator repairs can cost between $180 to $600. However, you’d have to invest upwards of $12,000 to replace your elevator system. Routine elevator maintenance can eliminate the following issues:
- Abrupt Landings or Sudden Stops: Issues with faulty electronics, electrical failures, and timing can result in rough landings and jerky travels. This issue can be eliminated by regular maintenance.
- Overheating: This is especially common during the summer. When the control system and drive are not properly cooled, the temperature could exceed 100 degrees. This can lead to an elevator breakdown. Routine maintenance can solve the problem.
- Power or Sensor Failure: An issue with a backup generator or sensor failure can keep elevator doors from opening as well as prevent the elevator from working altogether. Regular monitoring and maintenance are important in ensuring the elevator runs smoothly.
- Slow Waiting Time: Elevator performance slows down considerably as they begin to age. Maintenance could include replacing relays to improve performance.
When elevators breakdown, they may require replacement of major parts and if it works out, it could keep the elevator running and in top condition again. However, repairers must insist on purchasing elevator parts from reliable manufacturers and suppliers.
As you would imagine, every elevator manufacturer claims to sell the best product, but as many have discovered, that’s not always true. If you’re not sure where to buy the best elevator parts in China, here are a few tips that can help you choose the right elevator parts manufacturer.
- Customer Reviews: What are people saying about the manufacturer? Reviews tell you what you need to know about the quality of products they sell. Be sure to check on manufacturer reviews from previous clients before deciding on your preferred elevator parts store.
- Online Presence: The best elevator parts manufacturers have a heavy social media presence. Not only does this authenticate their company, but it also means they are easily held accountable. The most honest customer reviews are usually from the company’s social media pages. This is why many companies that offer poor services usually do not have Facebook or Twitter pages.
- Customer Service: If the customer service is poor, you’re likely dealing with a substandard elevator part manufacturer. The best elevator parts distributors usually provide top-notch customer services including prompt and helpful replies.
- Contact Address: When a purchase goes sideways, it’s important to have a manufacturer readily available to take complaints. Sometimes, you may want refunds. As you may already know, this is where certain companies usually disappear and never reply to emails.
At this point, your only play would be to contact them at their company address. This is why some companies do not provide contact information on their websites. Always ensure you purchase elevator parts from companies with real company address and not just an email.
- Experience: Of course there’s nothing wrong with buying elevator parts from a manufacturer that’s just starting out, but if you really want to safeguard your interests, you should go for companies with experience. Experience not only assures you of quality, but it also means they can give quality suggestions should you need to make inquiries.
Like every mechanical or electrical system, elevators are bound to develop faults. The fact that elevator issues could potentially be life-threatening is exactly why they need to be inspected and fixed immediately. The good news is that elevators don’t need daily or weekly checks.
Some elevators only require annual or bi-annual checks to remain in top conditions. When you do need to replace parts, be sure to purchase elevator parts from trusted elevator part manufacturers.
Luckily, you don’t have to spend your precious time searching for one. Simply go to relyelevator.com to purchase authentic elevator parts. With over 20 years of experience, Relyelevator is tested and trusted. With distributions to 100+ countries around the world, you can expect to get the best obsolete, reconditioned, or new elevator parts delivered to you in record time.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row